Please accept our gratitude for helping my family, most importantly of all for helping my sister."
Who is Day Care Treatment Suitable For?
Although in most cases residential treatment is the best option for those with alcohol addictions, there may be times when day care treatment is appropriate. Below are a few examples of who it is best suited to:
- Those who live close to a rehabilitation clinic and can easily travel to and from the clinic as required.
- Those who have completed a programme of residential treatment and need an extension programme in order to adjust to normal life.
- Those who have completed a programme of rehabilitation but are struggling to cope with normal life.
- Those for whom a residential treatment programme is not feasible – i.e. individuals with small children with nobody to look after them full time.
- Those who cannot afford a programme of intensive residential treatment.
- Those with a strong family network where they will be given full support during their treatment and recovery.
As residential treatment is the preferred option for those with alcohol addictions, it is crucial that you think carefully about your reasons for choosing a day care programme. While the above are valid reasons for choosing day care, it would always be advisable to opt for inpatient treatment if possible. The reason for this is because a focused and concentrated approach to addiction treatment is the most effective method and one that offers the best chance of long-term success. Below are a few examples of those for whom day care programmes would not be appropriate:
- Those who do not have a good support network at home
- Those who would have to travel at least an hour each day to get to a day care treatment centre
- Those who live in an environment that would not be considered safe
- Those who do not want to enter rehabilitation because they fear it will be too difficult
- Those with stressful lives where there will be pressure from work, family or finances
- Those who live with someone who drinks heavily.
- Those who are also dealing with a mental or physical health issue and are quite unwell
- Those who do not have anything in place to occupy their free time during the evenings.
Before you make any decisions regarding your treatment, we would advise you to discuss your options with one of our qualified members of staff. Alcohol Rescue’s fully trained counsellors and therapists will be able to furnish you with information regarding both inpatient and outpatient treatment programmes and will provide you with a comprehensive assessment to determine your suitability for a day care programme.
We would urge you to reconsider a programme of outpatient treatment if your reason for doing so is fear of being away from home. It is important to remember that inpatient treatment programmes typically last for a short period of time and many clinics allow family visits and contact by phone. At this point in your journey, your recovery should be your priority and, in most cases, residential treatment offers the best chance of a successful long-term recovery.
If you have any further queries or would like more information on day care programmes, contact us today.
Daniel’s guidance, professional and very heartfelt approach gave us the confidence and determination to go through with it."
- Free advice from a trained alcohol counsellor
- Access the best treatments in the UK and around the world
- Care for the alcoholic AND their family